If you told me in January how this year would end, I wouldn’t believe you. 2017 was one of my most transformative years with its lows and major ups that took me way out of my comfort zone. To say it was a year of transition is an understatement.
When it began I was excited for my wedding, albeit stressed planning the final details. My skin was acting out despite my best efforts and sleep was evasive. I felt depressed and unfulfilled at a comfortable job. I knew I needed to make a change and I couldn’t stop thinking about a nutrition program, but I was scared.
I lost my job mid-January and then a monster took office. It was a difficult month, but January renewed my desire to pursue nutrition so I could help other women claim their wellness. On rough days I found solace in this quote from Pema Chödrön:
I let myself be sad, but not for long. I had too much to be excited about to stay down.
If you’re weighing changes this coming year, I encourage you to do something that scares you. Time will pass anyway, so why not make the most of it? Life happens for you, not to you - you are responsible for your happiness.
Here are my 7 highlights from 2017, in order of appearance. Our wedding takes the steak (ha!), but there were all kinds of milestones.
THIS YEAR I...
- Completed a Whole30. My energy, cravings, and skin improved so much!
- Found the silver lining in my layoff as an opportunity to pursue what really lights me up and I’m so glad I didn’t run for a traditional 9 to 5 that doesn’t suit me.
- Enrolled in the Nutritional Therapy Consultant program and became a certified nutritional therapist this fall. Switching careers is scary, but it’s still way more fun than being bored and unhappy. Helping clients feel empowered to reclaim their health truly lights me up.
- Married Neil, my partner of 5 years surrounded by 12 of our loved ones at outside of Joshua Tree, CA. It was an idyllic desert afternoon after the sun broke through the rain minutes before our ceremony. We’re so happy that we did our wedding our own way! Neil and I met 10 years ago and my life is fuller with him in it. I’m so grateful for his encouragement throughout this new chapter.
- Started working for Liz Wolfe, an OG real food boss I’ve admired as a longtime listener of her podcast. I work behind the scenes as her operations manager and project manage the upcoming Baby Making and Beyond program. It is a pleasure being on Liz’ team! I truly appreciate this woman and her cohost Diane S. for empowering me on my own health journey.
- Stopped taking hormonal birth control after 11 years and started using a Daysy monitor for natural birth control. Ditching the Pill is a major change, but I feel so much more empowered about my health (more on this soon!)
- Invested in responsibly raised meat and organic produce from our community. Our cow share and CSA boxes with local farmers were well worth the investment and taught us about what is in season. Market trips became my favorite part of my solo Saturday morning routine.
- Taught a couple of nutrition classes and I can’t wait for more events.
- Found cardio that I don’t hate in the 56 minute HIIT class at FLEXcity Fitness.
- Revue Magazine listed my Instagram as a Staff Pick in their 2017 Best of the West issue. That was a fun surprise! Here's what they had to say:
INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT: Diane Teall Evans (@ditea)
Not many Instagram accounts will make you laugh out loud, but Diane Teall Evans will, and she’ll make you healthy while she does it. Her main account focuses on nutrition (delicious healthy recipes, and tips and tricks to live a better life!), while her Instagram stories focus on daily life. Stories include a tutorial for a “caca bun,” her pug Doug and rants about healthy fats. Her account will keep you motivated to lead a healthy life, while making your stomach hurt from laughing. —by Kelly Brown
- Traveled to new places including Palm Springs, LA, Kansas City, but New Orleans was my favorite.
- Cooked Thanksgiving Dinner for my family for the first time and it was so good. I look forward to hosting more family and friends!
May you give yourself health and joy in 2018!
What were some of your highlights? Tell me in a comment below!