Tis the season for grilling and dining al fresco, but that doesn’t mean you have to bring mayo salad (side of potatoes) to cook outs this summer! I know mayo heavy cold salads are a deli counter staple, but that mayo is made with gross vegetable oil and sweetened with corn syrup. Beyond that, the ingredient label is (always) a long list of questionable ingredients that don’t belong on our plates or in our bodies. It is mean muggy outside and mayo based salads are one of the first things to become questionable at parties.
Enter: mayo-free loaded potato salad (with bacon, because why tf not).
A few weeks ago I had a happy accident of making a tasty mayo-free potato salad and I’ve finally honed in on a written recipe worth sharing!
Don’t get me wrong, I love some mayo (maybe not this much) – but I’d rather reach for homemade or one made with avocado oil (NO vegetable oil + avocado blends…straight up avocado oil) like the Chosen Foods brand at Costco or Primal Kitchen Mayo.
Side note: Friendly reminder that while mayo is creamy, it is NOT dairy!
So this potato salad is dairy free, gluten free (duh), soy free if that’s your jam.
I imagine this side would be a nice complement to a barbecue – I basically threw in my favorite hot dog toppings! I am no recipe developer and some of the ingredients are semi-homemade, so feel free to sub as you see fit and let me know how it goes!
I can’t get enough of McClure’s Garlic Dill Pickles (made in Detroit!) that we buy in bulk from Costco. I’m not shy with the garlic breath.
If you haven’t tried making the marinated red onions by No Crumbs Left, get on it! I’m obsessed with Teri’s creation and incorporated them into this recipe. Seriously, I used to pick red onions out of everything before I tried these. Now I make these onions weekly and throw them on salads, in sandwiches, on eggs.
Certainly feel free to use straight up red onions, but you’ll need to add a little extra virgin olive oil.
What is your healthy go-to cookout or potluck dish?
Mayo Free Loaded Potato Salad
This gluten free, dairy free side is perfect for a summer barbecue!
12-14 b-sized red potatoes
6 slices roasted bacon, diced
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/4 c spicy brown mustard
3 McClure’s Garlic Dill pickle spears
1/2 c diced marinated red onions (recipe by No Crumbs Left)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Roughly peel half of the potatoes and chop into ½” pieces. Place in large pot and cover with water (should be ~1” of water above potatoes).
2. Bring to boil and turn to medium, add sea salt to water.
3. Simmer until potatoes are fork tender, drain.
4. Meanwhile, dice the roasted bacon (can be prepped the day before).
5. Add vinegar and bacon to potatoes, chill in fridge.
6. Dice the pickles and onions. Add to a small bowl with the mustard and stir to combine.
7. Fold the mustard/pickle/onion mixture into the potatoes until combined!
8. Salt and pepper to taste.
9. Optional: Garnish with chopped green onion.